The Huntingdonshire Health Walks scheme is provided free as part of the national Walking for Health initiative.
The scheme runs a range of regular walks across the district. You can enjoy the walk at your own pace, but with the added benefit of being in the company of other walkers and trained walk leaders.
When and where are the sessions?
The Health Walks are back!
We will be sticking to the new Walking for Health and Ramblers Covid-19 guidelines and what we have proposed is a series of 'pop up' walks, rather than a full programme. The walks will take place once a week in each location (Ramsey and Yaxley will have walks every other week for the time being due to leader availability).
You MUST pre-book before attending a walk. You can book via the One Leisure website, the One Leisure App or by phoning 01480 388111. There will be a maximum of 20 walkers per walk and bookings can be made up to 7 days in advance.
All walks will take place at 2pm. The timetable can be found below:
|Green||Are accessible for pushchairs and wheelchairs|
|Orange||Moderate walk - 30-60mins over 2-3 miles. A mixture of pathways and grass tracks. May include stiles and kissing gates. Not suitable for wheelchairs or buggies|
|Green/Orange||A moderate walk with the option of a shorter easier route if desired|
|Red||Advanced Walk 60-90mins over 3-4miles|
|Green/Red||Advanced Walk with the option of a short/moderate if desired|
July - All walks start at 2pm
- 14/07/21 - Brampton Wood (ORANGE) Meet at Wildlife Trust Car Park, PE28 0DB
- 21/07/21 - Reserve Walk (COW LANE) (RED) Meet at far end of Cow Lane, PE29 3EJ
- 28/07/21 - Brampton Ramble (ORANGE) Meet at Frosts Garden Centre, PE28 4NF
- 13/07/21 - Crystal Lakes (ORANGE) Meet at Chapel on the Bridge, PE27 5UW
- 20/07/21 - Hemingford Abbots (ORANGE) Meet at Axe and Compass Pub, PE28 9AH
- 27/07/21 - Wilhorn Meadow (ORANGE) Meet at St Ives Library, PE27 5BW
- 09/07/21 - Eaton Socon Pightle (ORANGE) Meet at B&Q Car Park, PE19 8EL
- 16/07/21 - Pocket Park (ORANGE) Meet at Riverside Car Park, PE19 7SD
- 23/07/21 - Three Lakes (ORANGE) Meet at Paxton Pits Nature Reserve, PE19 6ET
- 30/07/21 - Two Bridges (ORANGE) Meet at Priory Park Car Park, PE19 1AJ
- 19/07/21 - Town Walk (GREEN) Meet at Ramsey Library, 25 Great Whyte, PE26 1HG
- 08/07/21 - Church Walk (ORANGE) Meet at Yaxley Library, Yaxley, PE7 3JL
- 22/07/21 - Pond Walk (ORANGE) Meet at Yaxley Library, Yaxley, PE7 3JL
Who can attend?
Everyone is welcome on the walks, no matter your age or ability. Children under the age of 16 need to be accompanied by an adult.
Concerned about joining for the first time? Try one of our shorter green walks which last 20-30 minutes and are suitable for pushchairs and wheelchair users.
Do I need to book?
YES! Under the new guidelines, you must pre-book before attending a walk. You can book via the One Leisure App or by phoning 01480 388111. There will be a maximum of 20 walkers per walk and bookings can be made up to 7 days in advance.
Please fill in a health questionnaire (or complete it online) before you attend your first walk.
How much does it cost?
From 1 September 2015 the Huntingdonshire Health Walks scheme is inviting walkers to make a voluntary donation to support the running and continuation of the scheme. The suggested donation amount is £20 per year per walker. This is not compulsory - it is up to you if, and how much, you want to donate.
Can I bring my dog?
You are welcome to bring your dog on all walks except for the:
- Great Fen and Great Fen Dragonfly walks in Ramsey
- Brampton Wood walk
- Stukeley Stroll and Woodland Ramble in Huntingdon
- Buckden Village walk and
- Paxton Pits walk during June and July.
We recommend that dogs are kept under ‘close control’ at all times. This doesn’t necessarily mean on a lead, but we ask that dogs are kept on a lead if you cannot rely on their obedience. The usual rules apply regarding fouling. We ask all dog owners to be respectful of other walkers and to remember that not all people are dog lovers.
Booklets of Walks
- Huntingdon Walks [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Hinchingbrooke Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Godmanchester Walks [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Buckden Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Brampton Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Hartford Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- St Ives Walks [PDF, 0.7MB]
- St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Riverside Park - St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Priory Park - St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Loves Farm - St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Great Staughton - St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Other St Neots Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Little Paxton Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Grafham and Perry Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Ramsey Walks [PDF, 0.5MB]
- Yaxley Walks [PDF, 0.4MB]