skip to main content

Our aim is to ensure that employers protect the health, safety and welfare of their employees and visitors. We do this by providing education and enforcement [PDF, 0.2MB].

Employers need to provide safe working conditions and train their staff in safe working practices to minimise the risk of illness or injury.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the national health and safety regulator and they publish a range of information on their website.

HSE website: information and guidance

Who is the enforcing authority?

We are the authority responsible for enforcement in the following types of workplaces:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants
  • leisure premises
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

The HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at all other types of workplaces including:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

What happens if someone has an accident?

Employers must notify the enforcing authority in the event of the following:

  • a death or major injury e.g. fracture, loss of consciousness, amputation

  • an over-seven-day injury (that is when an employee or self-employed person has an accident at work and is unable to work for over seven days, but does not have a major injury)

  • a work-related disease

  • a dangerous occurrence (this is when something happens that does not result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done).

Report an Accident