Licence summary

You may need a licence from us to trade in the street.

Generally, there are no restrictions on street trading from mobile stalls and vehicles in most (but not all) of the district as long as you comply with road traffic, planning, and food laws.

Even if you trade in an unrestricted area, you should still get consent from the local Highways Authority (normally Cambridgeshire County Council) and the landowner before starting to trade. You should also notify the local police.

What happens if I don't apply for a licence?

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you trade without a licence.

Are there any restrictions?

You will be refused a licence if:

  • you are under 17 years old

  • there isn't enough space in the street to trade without causing interference or inconvenience to street users

  • you wish to trade for fewer days than any minimum required trading days

  • you are unsuitable to hold a licence due to previous convictions or other reasons

  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence.

How do I apply?

Complete and submit the application form online. You will need to provide details about the street you want to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

Apply for a Licence Online

The council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on the application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Further information is available on our Data Matching page.


Scroll for more
Type of licence/consent £
Street trading licence 1,725
Street trading consent - 1 day 58
Street trading consent - 1 month 215
Street trading consent - 6 months    1179

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. You can act as though your application has been granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days of us receiving your application

Appeals and complaints

If you are refused a licence please contact the Licensing team.

Consumer complaints

We advise that consumer complaints are first made to the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that does not work, further advice is available from Citizens Advice.

For complaints such as noise pollution or one licence holder complaining about another, please contact us for advice.