What needs to be licensed?

We are responsible for licensing premises that are used for licensable activities. These activities are:

  • the sale of alcohol by retail

  • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to members and guests

  • regulated entertainment

  • late night refreshment.

We licence these activities to:

  • prevent crime and disorder

  • ensure public safety

  • protect children from harm

  • prevent public nuisance.

What is regulated entertainment?

Regulated entertainment covers a range of activities including some:

  • dance performances

  • plays

  • screening of films

  • indoor sporting events

  • boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoors or outdoors)

  • live music performances

  • playing of recorded music.

See the Regulated Entertainment page for more information.

What is late night refreshment?

Late night refreshment is hot food or drink supplied to members of the public, on or from any premises, for consumption on or off the premises, between 11pm and 5am.

Are outdoor venues covered?

Yes. Premises refers to any place, inside or out, on private or public land, including vehicles and ‘vessels or moveable structures’ (eg marquees).

Other help and guidance

Statement of Licensing Policy

GOV.UK: Entertainment Licensing