skip to main content

The UK government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This will apply to:

  • local elections

  • Police and Crime Commissioner elections

  • Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority Mayoral elections

  • UK Parliamentary by-elections

  • recall petitions.

From October 2023 it will also apply to UK Parliamentary elections.

Currently, there are no scheduled elections in Huntingdonshire in May 2023.

If you do not have an accepted form of photo ID as listed by the Electoral Commission, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’. This is a document specific for the purposes of voting. You must be registered to vote before applying for a Voter Authority Certificate.

How do I apply for a Voter Authority Certificate?

There are 3 ways to apply:

Apply online

You can complete an application online

Apply by post

Voters can also apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by completing a paper form and sending it to the council offices. You can request a form by contacting

Apply in person

Voters may also be able to apply in person at the council offices.

The application process

When applying for a Voter Authority Certificate you will need to provide your:

  • name

  • address

  • date of birth

  • National Insurance number

  • photograph (similar requirements to passport photos)

We will process your application and send you the Voter Authority Certificate by post.

If you vote by post or by proxy

You will not need photo ID if you vote by post or if you have appointed a proxy, although your proxy will need their own photo ID when voting on your behalf in a polling station.

What if my photo ID has expired?

Expired photo ID will be accepted if the photo remains a good enough likeness for the polling station staff to be able to identify you as the voter.

For further guidance please visit the Electoral Commission website.