skip to main content
Council Tax

Tell the Council Tax department that someone has died

We recognise the difficulties that relatives and friends experience when someone close dies and that there are many things to be done.

However, as soon as it’s possible, we need to be told about the death of an occupant.

How to notify the Council Tax team that someone has died

You can let us know that someone has died via our online form.

If you'd prefer to speak to someone you can call the Council Tax team on 01480 388030.

How will this affect the Council Tax ?

If there are still people living at the property

  • The remaining occupants will become responsible for the Council Tax.

  • If there is only one adult resident, they may qualify for a single person discount off the Council Tax bill.

If nobody is living at the property

  • If the deceased lived alone and was the sole owner of the property, providing the property remains unoccupied, the estate may be exempt from paying Council Tax until the date of probate and for up to 6 months after. We will ask for more information on the terms of the will and may ask to see a copy.

  • Once probate has been granted, an exemption may apply on an unoccupied property for a maximum period of six months.

  • If the property is still unoccupied six months after probate has been granted, if the exemption applied, the estate will become responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Changes you’ll need to tell us about

You or the executor should notify us when the following changes occur:

  • probate or letters of administration are granted

  • the property becomes re-occupied

  • the legal deeds or ownership are transferred to another person or company

  • the property is sold.

Please contact the Council Tax team if you have any queries.

You may also wish to visit the government website for further information, and also contact the County Council.