skip to main content
Council Tax

Did you know you can manage your Council Tax from your customer portal account?

Simply log in or register for a portal account then select 'Council Tax' under 'Get answers fast'. Have your Council Tax number available as you will need this to register your account.

Once registered you can view your current balance, the amount of your next payment, report changes and apply for reductions at your own pace and in your own time.

The Council Tax you pay is shared between the following organisations:

  • Huntingdonshire District Council

  • Cambridgeshire County Council

  • Cambridgeshire Police

  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Fire Authority

  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority

  • town and parish councils in Huntingdonshire.

You can find further information on how your council tax is spent in our Council Tax Guide.

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on:


Valuation bands

Council Tax bands are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and are based on the value of your property on 1 April 1991. Properties built after this date are assessed using 1991 values.

  • Band A: up to and including £40,000

  • Band B: £40,001 to £52,000

  • Band C: £52,001 to £68,000

  • Band D: £68,001 to £88,000

  • Band E: £88,001 to £120,000

  • Band F: £120,001 to £160,000

  • Band G: £160,001 to £320,000

  • Band H: over £320,000

To check a property banding visit the VOA website.

Changes that may affect your Council Tax band

Your property band may change in certain circumstances, for example if:

  • you make improvements or alterations to your property such as adding an extension – the band won’t change until you sell the property or there is a revaluation

  • you split a single property into self-contained flats

  • you convert flats into a single property

  • you starting working at or from home - you may have to pay business rates on the area used for business purposes and council tax for the rest of the property

  • there are significant changes to your local area, such as a new road being built.

Further information can be found on the VOA website and the Home-Based Businesses Guide [PDF, 0.1MB].

What if I don’t agree with my band?

If you think your property is in the wrong band, you can ask the VOA to check it, but you must continue to pay your Council Tax while they do this.

View information about Council Tax band appeal scams.