skip to main content

What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support is financial help for those on low incomes and reduces the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

Who can claim Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if:

  • you are at least 18 years old

  • you are the person responsible for paying Council Tax

  • the property is your main or only residence.

Who cannot claim Council Tax Support?

Generally, you cannot claim Council Tax Support if you: 

  • are not liable to pay Council Tax

  • have savings of over £16,000 or more if you are a pensioner, or £10,000 or more if you are of working age

  • are a full-time student

  • are from abroad and have no recourse to public funds. 

How is Council Tax Support worked out?

The amount of support worked out is based on two separate sets of scheme rules depending on:

How will you know the amount of Council Tax Support awarded?

The amount of Council Tax Support awarded to you will be detailed on your bill based on the type of scheme appropriate to your circumstances.

You can check your Council Tax Support online via the My.Huntingdonshire customer portal. You can also check your payments and account balance along with other council details.

What if you think the level of support is wrong?

We always aim to make the right decision, but if you disagree or would like us to reconsider our decision, you can request this, in writing within one calendar month of the date of our decision.

You should post any request for a re-consideration, or a request for an appeal to:

Benefit Services
Pathfinder House
St Mary's Street
PE29 3TN

You can also email your request to

Our Appeals Officer, who has had no part in the original decision-making process, will look again at all the facts about your benefit claim to make sure the decision was made correctly.

If the officer decides the decision was wrong, then it will be changed. This could be from the date the first decision took effect, or from an earlier or later date. Whatever part of your claim is changed, you will be told in writing what we have done and why.

What if the decision is not changed?

If the Appeals Officer cannot change the decision, then we will tell you in writing. If you still disagree with the decision you can make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal, who are completely independent of the council.

The Valuation Tribunal deals with appeals about Council Tax Support decisions and you should write directly to them if you still disagree.

Changes in your circumstances

You must tell us about any changes to your circumstances within 21 days. 

Tell us about changes in your circumstances.