Bookings for private hire vehicles can only be made through an operator that is licensed by us. The operator may be a company or an individual and must have their operating base within the district.

Further information on the requirements for private hire operators can be found in the Schedule of Conditions of Licence and the Conditions Specific to Operators.

How do I apply?

You should first check the Planning Portal to see if you need planning permission to operate from your proposed premises. This applies to both commercial address and residential properties.

Then complete and return the private hire operator application form, along with the fee.

You will also need to provide us with a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, which can be obtained from the government website.

We use electronic scanners to check and verify identity documents from all customers applying to access council services. We will scan documents with a product called Trust ID

Licences are valid for 12 months.


Please see the Fees page.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. For public safety reasons we must process your application before it can be granted.