Huntingdonshire District Council

Related Information

Contact Council Tax


Council Tax Exemptions


Sometimes you may not have to pay Council Tax. Most exemptions only apply when no-one lives in a property, but sometimes occupied properties are exempt.

Exemptions with a time limit

  • Class B - Empty property owned by a charity and last used for charitable purposes is exempt for up to six months.
  • Class F - Properties left empty because the person liable to Council Tax has died are exempt for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration.

Empty properties that are exempt as long as they are unoccupied

  • Class D - Properties left empty by people who are in prison.
  • Class E - Properties left empty by people who have gone to live in a hospital or home to receive care.
  • Class G - Properties where occupation is forbidden by law.
  • Class H - Empty properties such as vicarages, kept for a minister of religion.
  • Class I - Properties left empty because the liable person has gone to live elsewhere to receive personal care.
  • Class J - Property left empty because the liable person has gone to live elsewhere to provide personal care to another person.
  • Class K - Property left empty because the liable person is a student who is living elsewhere.
  • Class L - Properties that have been repossessed by a mortgage lender.
  • Class Q - Properties where the person who has possession is a trustee in bankruptcy.
  • Class R - A caravan pitch without a caravan or a mooring without a boat.
  • Class T - A home which is part of another home (for example an annexe) and where separate occupation from the main home is not allowed by planning controls.

Properties that are exempt while occupied.

  • Class M - Student halls of residence.
  • Class N - Properties occupied only by students.
  • Class O - Armed forces accommodation. The Ministry of Defence pay a grant in lieu pf the Council Tax for these properties.
  • Class P - Properties occupied by visiting forces or members of international defence organisations, or their dependants.
  • Class S - Properties where all the occupiers are aged under 18.
  • Class U - Properties occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired who would otherwise be liable to pay Council Tax.
  • Class V - Properties which are occupied by diplomats.
  • Class W - Properties with a separate flat or annexe where one part of the property is occupied by an elderly or disabled relative of the owner, who lives in the other part.

The former exemptions Class A (empty and uninhabitable) and Class C (unoccupied and unfurnished) have been removed by Government regulation and replaced by locally determined discounts from 1st April 2013.  Please see the Council Tax Discounts page for more information.

If you need more details about exemptions, please contact us using the related information link or telephone the Council Tax section on (01480) 388030.

missed bin collection


  • DirectGov
  • Get Safe Online
  • Better Connected 2011