Huntingdonshire District Council


Street Collections (Charitable)


A Street Collection is a collection for charitable, sporting, cultural or similar purpose (other than for private gain). All Street Collections in the District require a Street Collection permit from the District Council. Collections inside a private premises (a supermarket for example) do not normally require a permit. You should always check that you have consent from the landowner or occupier before you carry out a collection (for example this could be the County Council Highways Authority, a shop manager, the District Council, Town Council, private owner/occupier etc.)

Regulation summary

For a summary of the regulation relating to this licence please use the link under ‘External links’ on the right of this page.

Who may apply for a licence?

A person, society, committee or other body wishing to promote a collection for charitable purposes.

How soon do you need to apply?

You should apply at least one month before the date of your intended collection. The Council is not obliged to process any application received giving less than one month’s notice. However, if this requirement places any difficulty on your planned collection then you should contact the Licensing Section without delay.

How will my application be evaluated?

The Council restricts collections to one collection per area per day. In the first instance you should contact the Licensing Team on (01480) 387075 to discuss booking a collection date and please see the link on the right for guidance on the regulations. Once a date has been agreed you should complete the necessary application form.

What happens if my application is not processed within the timescales stated?

If you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 28 calendar days this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted. This will only apply for licences/registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

How to apply

You can choose to apply online or download a form by accessing the ‘External link’ on the right of this page.

After the collection

After the collection has taken place you will be required to complete a returns Form of Statement giving details of the total amount collected and the amount used for expenses. This form must be returned to us within one month of the collection. A copy can be downloaded or can be completed on-line via the relevant linked document on the right of this page.

Within one month of the collection taking place you need to place information about the collection, including the amount that was collected, in a local newspaper. This is done in the form of a notice, a copy of which is available via the relevant linked document on the right of this page.

Failure to submit a Form of Statement will result in future applications being refused.


The District Council does not charge for this service.

Contact the Licensing Team

Huntingdonshire District Council
Pathfinder House
St Mary’s Street
PE29 3TN
Telephone (01480) 387075
Fax (01480) 388061
Email - use the link to the right of this page under Related Information
new home


  • DirectGov
  • Get Safe Online
  • Better Connected 2011